Reporting to the Head of Creative, the Content Strategist is an integral part of Market Development (MD).
MD is a full service agency supporting all divisions. We are a global business, with 100+ associates based in Ireland, US, India and Mexico. We support our clients from campaign strategy, messaging and innovative design solutions right through to deployment directly into channel. As an internal organization, we aim to drive value for our customers, coordinating across the network, to support the companies mission to improve patients' lives.
We are looking for a Content Strategist to join our Creative & Content team. This role will work closely with Art Directors, Graphic and Digital Designers, Editors, and Copywriters supporting-and supported by-a wider team of Project Managers, Program Managers, and Customer Liaisons (Account Managers).
The Content Strategist plays a central role in helping the team deliver outstanding creative solutions and pharma marketing initiatives by understanding the strategic needs of customers, developing effective content strategies, and writing engaging copy for multichannel print and digital campaigns. This role requires experience and expertise married to a hands-on, deliverable-driven work ethic.
The Content Strategist works across a large number of pharma brands at both the global and local levels with an awareness of, and sensitivity to, Medical, Legal, and Regulatory (MLR) requirements.
In all capacities, the Content Strategist takes a professional approach to time, budget, and customer constraints and keeps a focus on quality output.
Must be comfortable with significant international travel.
· Develop insight-driven, multichannel content strategies for pharma brands that effectively align to campaign and customer goals
· Understand and incorporate market data, brand strategy, and target audience research into content strategies and workshops
· Conduct hands-on content inventories and audits, content mapping, and gap analyses that translate qualitative and quantitative data into actionable insights and content recommendations
· Lead and/or facilitate on-site discovery sessions and strategy/messaging workshops in partnership with internal and external teams to draw out customer content goals and offer informed, strategic solutions
· Write concise, engaging copy that adheres to brand and MLR guidelines for a wide range of channels, formats, and target audiences (including health care providers, sales representatives, and patients)
· In partnership with the editor, copywriters, and wider team, develop frameworks and governance documentation for creating content based on market, audience, and performance insights
· Support the development of "content strategy" as an integral service element
· Work with the editor to develop and report on content and content strategy success metrics
· In all capacities, work effectively and efficiently as part of a team, incorporate stakeholder feedback, and ensure deliverables are accurate, high quality, on time, and within budget
· Bachelor's degree in English, communication, journalism, pharma, life sciences, or related fields
· Advanced degree in pharma, medical, or relevant scientific area ideal
· 8+ years as a content strategist (preferably in pharma; preferably in agency)
· 3+ years copywriting (preferably around medical/scientific content)
· Link to portfolio or samples of work required; possibly including:
o Content strategy documentation such as audit outputs, gap analyses, and/or governance documentation, and/or
o Case studies showing positive impact of strategic work, and/or
o Copy samples targeting HCPs, sales reps, or patients
· Experience leading face-to-face strategy/content workshops with brand customers as strong plus
Skills & Abilities
· Fluent English (both written and spoken)
· Written fluency in another European language a plus
· Exceptional communication and listening skills
· Capable of working within project limitations (time, budgets, difficult customers, etc.) and working effectively as part of a team
· Strategic and organizational thinking
o Ability to think systematically, organize, and prioritize effectively in an occasionally fast-paced and pressurized agency environment
o Detail focused with big-picture understanding
o Creativity that complements process-driven execution
o Thinking in terms of scalability and using data to inform decisions
· Medical/scientific understanding
o Broad knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry
o Ability to work across therapy areas and communicate effectively to different audiences
o Capacity to understand and translate scientific data and study results into a story with a human connection
o Capable of working from primary-level scientific research, market research, brand strategy documentation, and/or pre-existing creative materials
· Customer engagement
o Comfortable and confident engaging health care professionals, subject matter experts, and senior business leadership one-on-one and in workshop formats
o Ability to command a room for presentations and workshops and to adapt quickly in order to offer out-of-the-box solutions to obstacles
o Capable of digesting both positive and negative feedback and moving tactfully toward win-win outcomes
o Capable of writing clear, engaging, and accurate copy for pharma
o Skilled at adapting medical and scientific content for a variety of channels, formats, and target audiences toward commercial goals
o Not precious about incorporating feedback and able to prioritize project needs over personal preferences
· General attributes
o Passion for digital communications a strong plus
o Flexible and adaptable; capable of functioning and driving team progress under sometimes ambiguous circumstances
o Ability to work in a practical, hands-on way
o Tenacity and energy in leading change
o Strong interpersonal and networking skills
o Speaking and acting clearly and directly in keeping with Novartis values and behaviors